Monday, February 2, 2009

Looks Can Be Deceiving

You can't tell from these photos, but these white flowers smell like doo-doo.







Snails are eating my plants. I've heard that if you put egg shells in the flower pot snails will have a hard time sliding over them and thus do not eat your plants as much. I've also heard that salt will kill snails if you put it around your plants. But I've decided to employ my own home remedy: Crunched up sand dollars. Why you ask? Well, it theoretically takes advantage of both approaches - the shells are spiky AND salty. It may just be my imagination, but I've tried this before and I'm inclined to say that it works.

I happen to have an ungodly amount of old sand dollars outside our house that I collected one day at the beach. Who knows what I thought I'd do with them. I'm guessing that if you did not have access to a bounty of sand dollars, normal shells would work too.





I'm still using the beer tactic too. It's a veritable triple threat of death traps around here with the odds stacked against the San Francisco snail population.