Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Commuter

Is it just me, or is the drive home from work ALWAYS more dangerous than the drive to work? Obviously this is on my mind because yet again I was almost side swiped on my journey home by someone that was, of course, not paying attention. Hello? Do I want to die in a fiery, traffic causing, incident caused by your inability to signal, look and then move freely over the lane line? No I don't.

It is practically a daily occurrence. One day I even had a scary road raging incident with some asshole that did not appreciate my middle finger saluting him in the wind. A month or two ago I even saw a woman, a pedestrian, get hit by a car during evening rush hour.

Now I don't know about you morning stragglers - you're all speeding as you stress about being late to work, perhaps it is dangerous when you drive. But the 8:00-9:00am commute is slow and steady and it is clear why. Who wants to rush to work? People wave thank-yous, they let people merge and in general the commute is much more predictable (along with the zero tolerance to morning music policy every channel seems to adopt).

But EVERYONE is speeding on the way home. Of course, it is obvious why. We are all trying to accomplish one common goal: to get back to where we really didn't want to leave in the first place. And to go back to bed.