Monday, July 7, 2008

To Market, To Market

Every Saturday there is a farmer's market in our complex. Believe it or not Jon and I do in fact enjoy eating vegetables every now and then and the farmer's market is the best place to get them. We usually load up on zucchini and summer squash, green beans and tomatoes. Last week I bought a whole heap of strawberries and blackberries and made jam. I had never done it before and because I know myself well enough to know that I rarely follow directions correctly I was sure to look the instructions up and down- get myself all prepared to start and then take it just one step at a time.



It wasn't until I was on the last few steps of the blackberry jam that I realized I was looking at the wrong directions and that the chart that I was supposed to use to measure out the fruit to sugar ratio was in fact on the other side.
Fear not friend, too much sugar never made anything taste worse and the strawberry batch came out splendidly.

This last Saturday I picked up some flowers as well. LOTS of flowers- They were just so cheap that I did not trouble myself with the thought of where I might put the flowery forest I was set to acquire.
What really kills me about buying flowers every week is the vendor. Lovely man, really, he is. But I KNOW he doesn't speak English. I know this because one time when I was there his daughter did the translating. I know he does not speak English and yet each and every Saturday when I patron his tent I approach him with some question. I want nothing more than to ask him my question in Spanish, but in the end I am forced to conclude that his English must be better than my broken Spanish.
Even if I could muster a semi-confident, Cuanto? or, How much? I'm afraid he would come back with even more Spanish that would inevitably expose me and my lack of comprehension.



As it stands now I think we are both leaving the situation feeling inadequate.