Thursday, March 17, 2011

Four Corpulent Porpoises

I know this poem thing, this limerick, this I-don't-know-what. It's a funny sort of old expression and it has been officially defined by Wikipedia as an Announcer's Test, but I only know it as "that thing Grandma taught me"

You'll note in the Wikipedia article that this ditty is often passed down by word of mouth. I can't help but notice that the way I remember it is different than any way I can find online quickly. But isn't that the fun part of word-off-mouth?? It's like the rainy day game TELEPHONE. "The Cheese is on the table" translates to "Theres A FREEZE on the CABLE???" (wtf???)

Anyhow, here goes:

One Duck
Two Hens
Three Cackling Geese
Four Corpulent Porpoises
Five Faulty Foggy Flutes
Six pairs of Don Alverzo's Tweezers
Seven thousand Macedonian Warriors in Full Battle Array
Eight Brass Monkeys from the Ancient Sacred Crypts of Egypt
Nine Apathetic Sympathetic Diabetic Old Men on Roller Skates with a Marked Propensity for Procrastination and Sloth
Ten Lyrical Spherical Diabolical Denizens of the Deep who Hall Stall Around the Corner of Quo of the Quay of the Quivery, all at the Same Time.

I could never remember eight or ten, (although as a family we seem to remember something about brass monkeys and ancient Egypt) Those two here are from the internets.

Ever heard it? Variations?