Monday, February 23, 2009

Gym Confessions

1. I did not go to the gym last week.

There I said it.

2. I told myself that I would go to the gym today. I got to the stoplight down the block from it where I have to make a u-turn and waited for a few minutes.

Maybe not a few minutes - but long enough to convince myself that I ought to just make the u-turn and keep on drivin' until I got home. I called Jon so that he would help validate my decision to not workout..."I don't know if I'm going to go today...I'm not really feeling well and there's not really anywhere to park - but will you force me to go tomorrow? Either in the morning before work (he laughs) or on my way home??" He said that he would.

3. The light turned green and I made the u-turn and then thought Schuman you lazy son of a bitch take your less than fabulous ass to the gym.

I told myself that I wouldn't tolerate an outrageous parking situation (and I wouldn't park in those meter spots either, I LOATHE parking meters) - one lap and if it looked hopeless, I'd head home.

There was, of course, a great parking spot - and so I went.

* * * * *
Unless you pull a groin, or you get gassy while you're lifting weights or you fall off the treadmill and embarrass yourself in front of everyone... you never leave thinking "Man, I wish I hadn't gone to the gym today". Instead you think "Wow, I'm so glad I just did that" - And so far that's the best part for me.