Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Consistently Inconsistent

I have never been good at sticking with things. You know, following through - finishing what I've started. Not my strong suit. I once overheard my grandmother saying that I "flitted from thing to thing" never committing myself fully. (That was right after I quit the piano.) And while that doesn't sound like a very nice thing to say I think you have to give it to the lady for calling it like she saw it. When I started learning piano I envisioned myself as the world's most talented concert pianist. When the odds of that happening were revealed to me I was kind of over it.

In college I was fairly certain that I would become an Underwater Archaeologist. But the scuba class meant I would be at school until 10pm. Thanks but no thanks.

I decided to read a biography of every president of the United States. I read Washington, Adams and Jefferson. Well, most of Jefferson.

I was 100% sure I was going to write a book about ______________. (Fill in the blank)

Design and sew my very own, very elaborate, massive flying kite? Probably not. (Why really?)

And don't even ask me about my hard-body workout routine that has been on the back burner for 12 years.

Number of Craft Projects started and not finished: 587

And, I don't know if you know this, but Mount Everest isn't all that hard to climb. No, it's the altitude that's hard - otherwise the climb would be easy. Then why not? Yes - for a short spell in middle school I thought that if I wanted it enough I could do it. I can tell you now that that is categorically untrue - never mind that I also did not want it enough.

Just today I started reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. He said something interesting about a book Isaac Newton wrote. I was convinced that I would buy it and devour it. Odds of that: slim. Odds I finish "A Brief History of Time"?: also slim. (See also: "Voyage of the Beagle")

Instead of being an A+ "student" in all of these various arenas I have half-assed each and every one. I am sort of like that C student that always leaves during the breaks and only regularly shows up around test time.

But just like that student, I like to think if you know a little bit about a lot...You're doing okay.