Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Affliction Allie

Aside from a terrible bout of Blogger's Block I have two other consistent afflictions.

1. I am convinced that I have what doctors might call a mild case of obsessive compulsive disorder. Of course not with the whole "cleanliness" thing - no - my obsessive compulsive disorder manifests itself in the form of a need to count things. Again, not constantly, but in moments of boredom or uncomfortable situations I am known to count the number of window panes on a nearby building (being sure of course that the sum equals a comfortable number divisible by 4) or the amount of strings on a set of blinds. When I complained to my mom about this back when I was in high school she very simply asked me why, if that was the case, I continued to do so poorly in math class.

2. My second and more constant affliction is pinche RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME. I think a lot of people consider it to be a false syndrome, made up by people that just want to feel bad about themselves. But I am here to tell you that it is not. Experts debate why people get it - from personal observation it could be any number of things: dehydration, unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, alcohol intake...But regardless of the cause, restless leg syndrome feels unlike anything that can be accurately described. For me I can only say that it makes my legs feel like rubber bands. Rubber bands that need to be stretched and stretched but no matter how much I stretch them they always feel like they need to be stretched a little bit more. There is only one solution and that is to go to bed. And luckily that is somewhere that I really enjoy being.