Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Gay Sex in the City

A couple of "the gals" from work and I met downtown to see the Sex in the City movie. We met at Lark Creek Restaurant to have a couple of cocktails before and went into the theater about ten minutes before the movie started. You would think that on a Wednesday night one might be able to find a decent seat but my coworkers and I quickly found out that the show had sold out and that the only places to sit were the front row and the second row.
I have not sat in the front row of a movie for....ten years. And I know why: Grown ups do not sit in the front rows- its too hard to see. If something happens on both the right AND the left side of the screen one is forced to choose which thing to watch. I also could see every age spot and freckle on the actors' necks; So much so that Smith Jarrod looked old?

I would say that three quarters of the audience was made up of men and that is because I am rounding down. One particularly spirited gentlemen attended the movie in full drag- Spaghetti strap dress, curly blond wig and sparkly heels. Total Magnificence. I did not have the opportunity to ask him which character he was supposed to be but something told me that he was not having a problem getting in touch with his feminine side.
I was particularly excited when I realized that this audience was the type to whoop, holler and even applaud at exciting parts of the movie...and previews for that matter. They gave a VERY enthusiastic welcome to the up and coming "Mamma Mia" starring Meryl Streep (who they apparently think is fabulous.)

The movie was totally awesome, of course. Even though I was so close to the screen that my brain had to watch the movie differently, I felt like I was watching an extended super-value episode that I never wanted to end. I was happy when it did though because it was 10:00 and that is like 30 minutes before my bedtime.

On the way back to the parking garage, my coworker Arlene (who I love!) and I got in a very large and crowded elevator as the only women alongside a large chunk of the male audience. Everyone was chatting about the movie and then as soon as the elevator door closed the obligatory silence ensued. It was, as it always is, completely uncomfortable and I was ever so tempted to say, "so is anyone single?" But alas, I chickened out and didn't resume conversation until 3 seconds after the elevator doors opened.

But I think that almost makes me a Samantha.