Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cotswolds to North Wales

Our three nights in Stow-on-the-Wold went by quickly! We spent the days wandering in and out of the towns that make up the Cotswolds - on the list was Morton-in-Marsh, Bourton on the Water, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Upper and Lower Slaughter and of course, Stratford-upon-Avon.



As I'm sure you know (clever you) Stratford-Upon-Avon is where Shakespeare was born. I don't think much about Shakespeare in my day to day life, but if our visit to his birthplace reminded me of anything, it is that many of the common phrases that we use today are thanks to his writing. The home he was born in has been restored to be an informative and interesting tour of what life was like during his time and Mummy and I both left feeling like we ought to read some of his work.

We walked around the town and checked out the local shops - some specialty, some souvenir shops - your standard vacation window shopping. And!!! There was a Christmas shop! Have I mentioned how much I love Christmas? Because I do, and a quaint little Christmas shop in a quaint little town is almost too much for my delicate heart to bare. Please don't even get me started on the quaint little ornaments that I bought.

The buildings and stone fences in the Cotswolds are all made out of the limestone that is found in the area - it makes for a cute and cohesive string of towns that are a lot of fun to drive through. It is also exceptionally green there.







The drive up to North Wales was fairly uneventful, although it did mark the first time we made it from A to B without having to turn around, go back, flip a bitch or ask for directions. Our B&B is located literally RIGHT next to the original 11th century town walls and the room has a view of Conwy castle on one side and the gorgeous Welsh countryside on the other. Who knew that it would be so lovely?

We spent the afternoon strolling around the small town of Conwy by way of the Medieval walls and unbelievably narrow streets. In the next two days we'll do a grand castle tour and we'll also check out the nearby national park called Snowdonia - where Merlin's dragons were from. (For some reason I feel the need to mention the Merlin's dragons thing every time I talk about it, not sure why) (P.S. Wouldn't Merlin be a cute dog name?)

Mwy yn ddiweddarach.

(Apparantly that means "More later" in Welsh, but I'm going to have to take Google Translate's word for it.)