Sunday, July 18, 2010

Escape to LA

I spent the weekend after 4th of July visiting a dear friend in L.A.

It dawned on me as I sat in the gate in San Francisco, waiting for my flight, that I had never really spent any quality time with Los Angeles. Caught an international flight here, visited some college friends there - but never a pointed effort to see the city.

I guess I was realizing this because the group of people at the gate with me were unlike any other medium sized group of people I had been confined with. Not like, the most bizarre, but just different. Like they swallowed traffic for breakfast. Like their hemoglobin carries smog instead of oxygen. Like they're going to pop their gum constantly no matter how many sideways glances you throw their way.

Once I arrived and we battled through what is the sheer MADNESS of LAX pickup points, we headed straight to the movie theater with no time to waste. Jacob and Edward awaited. What followed was two hours of weeping tears of joy, because truly, I don't want to live in a world where Edward and Bella are "not quite together" and Eclipse helped me close that chapter.

On Saturday we went to the Getty and spent a few hours looking at paintings and photographs - meandering through the garden - getting trapped behind a man pushing a long stroller built for triplets up switchbacks. It is utterly gorgeous there, the bright buildings and manicured gardens are perfect.











In the evening we hung with some friends of Courtney's and watched a movie. We also played "Taboo" the game, which I had never played before. And I'm glad to say I did not punch anyone in the face or anything during game time. (Because I'm competitive like that.)









Both nights we watched episodes from the 1994 television classic, My So Called Life.

That show dude? So good. So ANGSTY, so CHARGED.

Man I miss the 90's.

And can I just say on behalf of women everywhere? Can we please have 90's Jared Leto back? Thanks.

Sunday we woke up bright and early and hit up Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle in Long Beach. I unfortunately did not have any of the chicken, but can tell you that the waffles are delicious. We were in Long Beach because Courtney's church was having a Gospel Fest on the streets of Long Beach.

Now I've never been to a Gospel Fest - in fact I can count the number of times I've been to church on one hand. But if a friend is really into church, hells yeah I'll tag along for the experience (once or twice.)

But this wasn't exactly church, it was a Gospel Fest. And the music was amazing and the messages were inspiring even for the non-religious. All in all it was a lovely way to spend a Sunday. The people were all so vibrant and moved, it was a fun place to snap some photos.









On the way to the airport we stopped at your quintessential Southern California Mexican restaurant. Dark lighting with orangey glass. A fish tank with a blowfish. Wicker and leather tables and chairs. And oh yes, taquitos on the menu. Now, I don't know if I've told ya'll this, but San Francisco doesn't exactly do the crispy tightly rolled deep fried deliciousness that we all know as "taquitos" or "rolled tacos". We have flautas, but truly they just aren't the same. I wasn't about to leave Southern California without a mufuckin' taquito plate.

And so I didn't.

After lunch we headed for the airport. It was a fun and exciting trip to Hell-A that would have only been improved by a K-Stew/R-Patz sighting.

I picked up a Hollywood shot glass at the airport on my way out of town, cause yeah, I roll like that.

L.A.: Who loves ya babe?