Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Prelude to a Project

What blows my mind about when we take the dogs to the beach is that the smallest thing is a signal to Lucy that we are going. The prospect of getting in the car, if you are just tuning in, induces a genuinely excited panic in my dogs. She notices the minute differences - Have I sat down on the couch yet? Am I changing into my jeans? Am I putting tennis shoes on? Did I open the closet? Are Jon and I saying the words "go" and "car" a lot? If the answer is Yes to any of the above questions than it means that our 4 year old dog is losing it and our 12 year old dog is wrapped up in the insanity of it all.

So we took them to the beach again today because I have a project that I want to do for a special purpose that cannot, at the moment, be named. Trust me, it's fun. The project involved collecting a series of simple and similar rocks - tumbled and smoothed by the ocean's tides. Despite the gale-force winds the trip was lovely...We were only pelted with bullet-like sand two or three times. By the time we reached the actual coastline the weather was calm. The dogs fetched (poorly, often leaving the frisbee in the ocean)while I took photos and collected rocks. It was a glorious Tuesday afternoon.







More details on my project later in the week, but a sneak peek for now: